Admission in Computer Science Department, CIIT Abbottabad
Q: What is the main strength of the Department of Computer Science in Abbottabad Campus?
A: The department of Computer Science in Abbottabad Campus has highly qualified faculty that comprises of 27 foreign qualified PhDs in diverse areas (see CS Faculty Profile here). Due to this reason, we offer research to our graduate students in various areas which gives them freedom to choose their own area of interest. Other than this, CS Department’s BS (CS) program has been ranked ‘W’ by NCEAC (HEC), which is the highest category received by only top Pakistani universities. This indicates the highest educational quality standards prevailing in our department.
Q: What are the research areas within a gradaute program?
A: If you do MS or PhD in Computer Science, you can choose one of the following research tracks offered by the respective research group (see CS Research Groups here):
- Computer Networks (including cloud computing)
- Digital Image Processing
- Natural Language Processing
- Software Engineering/ Intelligent Systems
- Robotics and Artificial Intelligence
- Information Security (consider taking admission in MS in Cyber Security)
Q: What courses are taught in MS (CS, Cyber Security) and PhD (CS) programs?
A: The approved Scheme of Study (SoS) is available online from where you can see list of core and elective courses for a specific graduate program. Elective courses are offered to train students in one of the specialized tracks listed above.
- Courses Offered in MS in Computer Science
- Courses Offered in MS in Cyber Security
- Courses Offered in PhD in Computer Science
Q: What is the Fee Structure?
A: Total Fee of 2 year MS Program (inclusive of everything) = 22000 + (42500 * 4) =?? Rs. 192, 000. Break up of this fee is as follows:
- Total Tution Fee of the MS Program is Rs. 108,000 (divided equally in 4 semesters).
- One time extra charges of Rs. 22,000 for admission/security in the first semester
- Registration, Lab charges etc of Rs. 15,500 in every semester.
Details of CIIT Fee structure can be seen at : http://ciit-atd.edu.pk/Secure/Admissions/feestructure.aspx
It is important to note here that CS Department, CIIT Abbottabad offers merit scholarships to 67% of the class e.g. 14 out of 20 students will be on scholarship. This merit scholarship is called CATEGORIES. See details in the following question.
Q: Are there any scholarships for the graduate program?
A: COMSATS is a public sector university which means that you can avail any National/governmental or International scholarship. For example, many students belonging to less developed areas of Pakistan are availing Prime Minister Fee Reimbursement Scheme Grant which covers all their educational expenses. A complete list of possible funding oppertunites can be seen at the Office of Development webpage (click here).
A unique feature of CS graduate program in Abbottabad campus is the provision of Fee Waiver for 66% of the admitted students in each batch called Scholarship categories. It is a merit based scholarship; the merit list is created at the start of each semester. The first semester merit is based on admission score whereas it is redefined after each semester based on students’ GPA.
- Category A+ : Top student (at the time of admission and/or the one having highest CGPA in the previous semester) gets 100% fee waiver + Rs. 15000/month stipend
- Category A: Top 33% students of the class receive 100% fee waiver (for the whole semester)
- Category B: Next 33% students of the class receive 50% fee waiver (for the whole semester)
- Category C: Only last 33% students on merit have to pay the full fee.
Q: What will be the time table of MS Program?
A: General MS class timings are from 1:15 to 6:15 (Monday to Friday). However, your timetable depends upon the courses that you have registered. As a reference you can see the following timetables of 2 students in current semester:
Note: sometimes we have classes on Saturdays (in case of visiting faculty).
Q: [USEFUL LINKS] From where can I download Prospectus, Admission Guide?
A: Download from the following links:
Dr. Mazhar Ali (Asst. Professor)??(email@example.com)
Graduate Program Coordinator
Department of Computer Science
COMSATS Institute of Information Technology