Semester Schedule SP17
All those who are planning to present their synopsis in SP17 are required to consult the probable advisers and start their work. The presentations will probably be held in the last week of March. So please be in time to avoid any mishap and extra semester.
If you are planning to present synopsis in Fall 2016 semester, then check the Guide for Synopsis Students for the process and schedules/deadlines.
- While the scholarships for 1st semester are given on the basis of your admission merit, it will be revised after every semester based upon last semester’s CGPA.
- After 1st semester, the number of scholarships in category A,B and C will be 33% of the total class strength.
Offered Courses and Course Registration
Graduate students can register minimum of 6 credit hours (i.e. 2 courses) and a maximum of 12 credit hours (i.e. 4 courses). You are advised to register all 3-core courses (registering minimum 2 core courses is must for 1st semester students). However, it is your own choice to take courses according to the course load you can take.
If you would like to register an elective course then carefully chose a track which you would like to pursue in future.
MS (CS) – Core Courses Offered in Spring 2016
Course Title (core courses)
Advanced Algorithms Analysis
Advanced Topics in Computer Architecture
Advanced Topics in Operating Systems
MS (CS) – Elective Courses Offered in Spring 2016
Register Courses from one of the following 2 tracks:
Intelligent Systems Track
Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning,
Latest and updated Campus Time table is available at the following link. You will look for timetables with R01 code which is used for MS-CS, R17 code is for Cyber Security:
· R01I (Intelligent Systems Track)
· R01N (Networks + Security Track)
You should see the timetable quite regularly (everyday) for the first two weeks because it is changed in the beginning due to various reasons. However, it will be freezed in about 2 weeks.
Note: The class of CSC521 Advanced Topics in Computer Architecture will be on Saturdays (3 hours). Its time will be communicated to you.
Semester Schedule is very important for you to know upcoming events/deadlines. You can download it from the following link:
- LINK WILL BE PROVIDED LATER
- You are advised to include graduate schedule in your own Google Calendar as follows. By doing so, you will also be able to see the upcoming
events on your mobile (More deadlines and events will appear soon when they are entered by the Graduate Coordinator)
Make sure that you are logged in with your google account
Select OTHER CALENDARS in the left pane
Click on DOWN ARROW symbol
Select ADD BY URL
Select ADD CALENDAR
A new calendar is added called GRADUATE SEMESTER SCHEDULE. It will have all events/deadlines
First day in COMSATS
You are welcome to visit on
Monday 29th February, 2016 at 11:00 am to meet your Graduate Coordinator. If you don’t plan to register any elective course then the first Core Course class of Operating Systems will be on Wednesday at 3:00 (see timetable).
- A formal orientation seminar will be conducted for you.
Time, date and place will be communicated later.Kindly note the time and place below:
- Day and Date: Tuesday,
March 1, 2016
Time: 3:00 pm
Place: New Auditorium
Access in COMSATS
CUonline (http://cuonline.comsats.edu.pk/) is a place you will most frequently visit during your MS studies. It links students with teachers, administration, etc. All your academic and administrative matters are recorded and handled through this portal. You will be provided a registration number and login password to access the portal. You will be able to see your marks, fee status, attendance, course contents, CGPA, etc. on this portal. After you get your registration number and password from
Graduate Coordinator, visit following link to login:
· Username or Registration Number = FA16-R01-??? OR FA16-R17-???
· Password = Get from Graduate Coordinator
You will receive entrance card which you need to display when you are in the campus. It take about 2 weeks to get the cards. You will receive it from Graduate Coordinator. Before you receive it, you will be provided a temporary card to prove your identity as COMSATS student (especially on the Main Gate).
Feel free to contact the following:
Academic Matters (courses, registration, timetable, schedule, etc.)
Dr. Mudassar Aslam (on leave till October 14)
Graduate Program Coordinator (Computer
Office: Z-360 (Z block)
Administrative Matters (Fee submission, Hostel, etc.)
This message is in continuation to the previous message (see here).
Internal Final Thesis Presentations will be conducted from Wednesday, July 13, 2016. In order to appear for the presentation you MUST HAVE DONE the following by July 12, 2016:
- Complete Draft of Paper submitted to the supervisor and also submitted to the DAC through Turnitin as mandated and informed at the start of the semester
- Certificate of paper submission signed by the supervisor to be submitted to the Graduate Coordinator (Download from here)
- First draft of Thesis to be submitted through Turnitin for onward review by the External Examiner
- All fee dues cleared.
MS students who have completed their research work can appear for the 1st internal presentation of the Final Thesis. If your supervisor is satisfied with your work then come prepared for the presentations starting from Tuesday 21st June, 2016. You must register for the presentation not later than Monday 20th June, 2016 by filling a form at the following link:
There is NO presentation template as such; however your presentation MUST have slides to include the following:
- Related Work
- Problem Statement
- Research Methodology
- Proposed Solution
- Conclusion/Future Work
Send your presentation to email@example.com
You are not required to submit anything at this stage except emailing your presentation. However, keep in mind that to be allowed to appear for the external exam, following pre-requisites are MUST:
- Satisfactory presentation of your thesis work approved by the Department Advisory Committee (starting from Tuesday 21st)
- Paper submission by 11th July, 2016 (to DAC through Turnitin)
- 2nd presentation (representation) of the suggested changes to be held after 11th July, 2016 (if suggested in the 1st presentations)
Students who will clear these requirements will be recommended for the External Final Thesis Presentations starting from 25th July, 2016
Download : Spring 2016 – Doctoral Comprehensive Exam (DCE) Rules & Regulations
Download : Comprehensive Request Form and submit it to the Graduate Coordinator
Dear Thesis doing students!
The first session of the guidance seminar covered all administrative aspects, deadlines, requirements, submission process, etc. In addition, you were informed about using the correct synopsis template and writing each section of the synopsis correctly. Due to the shortage of time, we could not cover the second part which is more about DOING RESEARCH.
The second session of the Thesis Guidance Seminar will be conducted as per following schedule:
Time and Venu:
- Z-Block Conference Room
- Time -> 12:00 – 1:30
- Date -> Monday 11th April, 2016
A special guidance presentation (How to do Thesis) for thesis students is arranged on Thursday 7th April 2016. This presentation is MANDATORY FOR THESIS DOING STUDENTS (and optional for others) so that you are well informed and guided for your Synopsis and Final Thesis Presentations. If you do not attend this seminar, you will find various difficulties in understanding the process of writing, submitting, presenting your thesis. You will also be guided about other requirements such as plagiarisim checking, paper submission requirements, etc. Attendance will be marked and there will not be any repetition (rules, requirements, process guidance) for the absent students.
- Dr. Mudassar Aslam (Graduate Program Coordinator)
- Dr. Zia ur Rehman
Time and Venu:
- A-Block (Room : A220)
- Time -> 4:45 – 6:15
The presentations will cover the following:
- What is Synopsis Proposal? How to write, submit and present? (Dr. Mudassar Aslam)
- Thesis doing : From Synopsis to Defence (Dr. Mudassar Aslam)
- How to do research with effective tools? (Dr. Zia-ur-Rehman)
- Student Questions, Queries